What’s that you say? Your pooch is pampered? Perfect! You’ve come to the right place!
We consider ourselves quite the connoisseur when it comes to treating dogs, that’s why we’re sharing our special dog cake recipe with you. We believe every good boy or girl deserves an extra, extra special dog treat sometimes.
Our homemade dog cake recipe combines dog-friendly ingredients to create a tasty treat that’s pawfect as a dog birthday cake or for any celebration!
Dog cake ingredients:
- 200g of wholemeal flour
- 1 large banana - peeled and chopped (you could also use unsweetened apple sauce or pumpkin puree)
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 large whisked egg
- 250ml of milk (oat milk can be used as a dairy alternative)
- 2tbs of melted coconut oil
How to make a dog cake - method:
- Preheat your oven to 200c and line a cake or loaf tin with baking paper. Alternatively, you can use a cupcake tray to make smaller treats.
- In a large bowl add your chopped banana and grated carrot and mash to a pulp.
- Add the melted coconut oil and whisked egg to the mixture and stir.
- Slowly add the flour and mix thoroughly until combined.
- Carefully spoon the cake mixture into the tin or tray. Use the back of a spoon to ensure the mix is even.
- Bake until completely cooked through, this takes around 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick or skewer comes out of the centre of the cake clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the tin or tray for 5 minutes before turning out on to a cooling rack. Leave to cool to room temperature.
How to decorate your dog cake - topping:
Once the cake (or cupcakes) are cool you can decorate - frosting is the fun bit!
Dog cake icing can be made from a variety of ingredients such as dog-friendly peanut butter, unsweetened yogurt or our favourite… mash potato! The ‘icing' gives your dog something to lick well before the cake is even bitten into, this builds the textures and tastes.
For mashed potato icing simply peel and chop potatoes, boil them in water for around 20 - 25 minutes until soft, drain, leave to cool and then mash. Loosen with a splash of water if needed. Smooth or pipe onto your dog cake or cupcakes and decorate with your favourite Nibble and Nosh dog treats for the finishing touch.
We recommend sprinkling over a few smaller treats, such as our Mini Chicken Sushi Rolls, or crumbling up some of our Duck Jerky Delights to make a deliciously crunchy topping. Dogs will love the smell, texture and taste of the dog treats on top.
A few things to remember when choosing dog cake ingredients:
Do bear in mind that although this recipe has been specifically designed with dogs in mind, you should only give your dog a small amount of this cake at a time as it is most definitely best kept as an occasional treat. It will keep for a few days if you wrap it or box it up, allowing you to spread out the fun!
As you have probably gathered, this dog birthday cake recipe, while safe for human consumption, might taste a little ‘unusual' compared to the sweet treats we’re used to! If you do decide to share, don’t be tempted to add sugar to suit your taste and only pick products without added sugar.
We don’t add bicarbonate of soda / baking powder to our pet perfect cake recipe so don’t expect the cake to rise. This treat is designed to appeal to those with four legs, rather than two!
Do note that this recipe might not be suitable for all dogs, particularly those with special dietary requirements.
Happy baking! Happy barking!